Sunday, February 26, 2006

Christians encounter with a man in a cage

During this life I’ve seen a man,
Who slumped, eyes rolled, and with folded hand,
And he sighed as if his heart would brake-
“What means this?” said I, as his body did shake,
“What means this?” said I, as his body did shake.

Said the man – “I am what I was not once”,
To which my pitying reply – “what were you once?”,
“A fair and flourishing professor of Christ was I”,
Saying; “CELESTIAL CITY WILL BE MY HOME WHEN I DIE!”,
Saying; “CELESTIAL CITY WILL BE MY HOME WHEN I DIE!”

“But what are thou now? (for you are not so fair)”,
A groan from his cage “I am a man of despair”,
“How came you to be so bent?” said I,
“I have hardened my heart that I cannot repent”,
“I have hardened my heart that I cannot repent”.

“Why is there no hope for a man of such dress?”
“I have crucified my Lord to myself afresh,
I have counted his blood as an unholy thing,
And never more for his promise shall sing,
And never more for his promise shall sing”.

“For what did you set yourself into this strife?”
“For the Lusts, Pleasures and Profits of this life,
Desire for them led my body to squirm,
Now even those gnaw me like a worm,
Now even those gnaw me like a worm”.

“God hath denied me to repent,
His Word gives me no encouragement
Eternity, eternity I despise my eternity
Once Jesus my surety, I must now burn for he,
Once Jesus my surety, I must now burn for he.”

“Let this mans misery be remembered to thee,
In order that thou from sin would flee”,
“God help me from my lusts to fly,
Celestial city will be my home when I die!
Celestial city will be my home when I die!”

Based on John Bunyan’s “A Pilgrims Progress”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you write the poem? It is very good.