Sunday, February 18, 2007

Limited Atonement

I asked a certain renowned evangelical theologian whether I could tell anyone in the world with confidence that God loves them. I did not get a direct answer to that question, although I'm sure he'd say yes, rather he tried to convince us that the doctrine of limited atonement (that Christ died purely for those who will be in heaven at the end) is a heresy.

I was not convinced - and John Owen was ar more effective on my mind:

"What motive would it be hereunto to tell believers that God would have those saved who neither do nor ever will or shall believe? ... I say nothing how strange it seems that Christ should be the Saviour of them who are never saved, to whom he never gives grace to believe, for whom be denies to intercede, (John 17:9) which yet is no small part of his mediation whereby he saves sinners."

John Owen in The Death of Death in the Death of Christ

No comments: