Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Spurgeon in a house (2)

The next time Spurgeon was quoted over the weekend was another story he told... It was in defence of the fact that we should listen to God's Word above any other experience, and was given when he preached on Galatians 1:8 - "But if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed."

There once was a preacher who after giving his sermon was walking back to his seat in the congregation. As he did so an angel from heaven stood before him and in a loud voice proclaimed "I have a word for you!" The preacher said "I don't want you to tell me it". The angel replied "I have a very important word for you!" The preacher said "I suspect you are going to tell me it, but I do not want to hear it." The angel said to the preacher "your name is written in the Lambs book of life!" The preacher replied "I did not want you to tell me this word and now that you have I am very angry. For before you told me, I could trust that message from the Word of God, now I have you competing with my God for authority!"

...even if we or an angel from heaven...

1 comment:

Marc Lloyd said...

Thanks for those two stories, Paul. A smile and edification, what more could one ask for?